With the warmer weather we’ve experienced, our grill is getting a workout! For this Grilled Vegetables & Orzo Salad, I prepared a variety of vegetables on the grill and tossed them with cooked orzo, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper and fresh basil. You can use whatever vegetables your family enjoys. Additionally, it’s a great way to use up extra vegetables from the garden as well.
Preparing Grilled Vegetables
To prepare the vegetables for the grill, I like to use skewers. This way, I can put all the same vegetables on a skewer and ensure they cook evenly. Putting cauliflower with squash, for instance, may be problematic since the cauliflower takes a bit longer to cook all the way through. For this version, I did cheat a little….
While prepping the vegetables, I noticed the sky darkening and I knew a storm was on the way. In order to get the vegetables off the grill before the skies opened up, I decided to steam the cauliflower for 3 minutes in the microwave before skewering and grilling. By doing so, I was able to speed up the grilling process for those veggies. Not two minutes after I turned off the grill, it started to pour … phew!
Additionally, I also like to coat the vegetable pieces with a small bit of olive oil and add salt and pepper before grilling. The oil keeps the vegetables from sticking to the grates and allows the spices to adhere to the vegetables. Feel free to experiment with other spices as well. Oregano, lemon pepper or a shake of garlic powder would be tasty, too.
One final note….
Be sure to check if the salad needs more salt or pepper prior to serving. Adjust spices accordingly. This salad can be served immediately or chilled in the refrigerator up to two days.
Grilled Vegetables & Orzo Salad
- 8 oz. orzo pasta
- 6-8 cups vegetables of your choice, diced into 2" pieces
- 1/4 cup + 2 t olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, shredded
- Cook orzo according to package directions. Drain and rinse under cold water.
- Heat grill to medium. While grill heats, cut the vegetables and mix with 2 teaspoons olive oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Arrange vegetables on skewers and place on the grill. For squash or larger vegetable, grill directly on the grates.
- Once the vegetables are cooked, remove from the grill; cut larger vegetables into chunks if necessary.
- Mix orzo, vegetables, lemon juice, 1/4 cup olive oil, salt, pepper and basil in a large bowl. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to two days.