Sometimes, comfort food is a necessity. I know … I’m supposed to watch my carbs and eat less pasta. I probably should substitute the lasagna noodles in this Easy Lasagna recipe for strips of zucchini. And, maybe someday, I’ll do that. But, for today, I’m craving good old-fashioned lasagna. Carbs and all!
I remember making lasagna with my mom. It kinda ended up being an ordeal. Back in the day, the noodles needed to be cooked first before assembling the casserole. They always stuck together and were too hot to easily handle. With the invention of no-boil noodles, that whole messy step is eliminated! So, if you want to make this recipe with traditional noodles, go for it! Actually, I’ve made this Easy Lasagna recipe with regular noodles, whole wheat noodles and no-boil noodles … all of them work great!
Is this *really* easy lasagna?
I think it is! Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Start the sauce by browning the ground beef or ground turkey in a non-stick skillet. Drain the excess fat. Add a jar of your favorite pasta sauce and a small can of tomato sauce. Let simmer for 10-15 minutes. While the sauce simmers, mix together the ricotta, egg, Parmesan cheese and parsley. Separate the mozzarella cheese slices so assembly is quick and easy.
Once the sauce is ready, spray a 9×13 casserole dish with cooking spray. Spoon a small amount of sauce into the bottom of the pan. Add a layer of noodles. Top with a third of the ricotta cheese mixture, a layer of mozzarella cheese and a third of the sauce. Repeat the layers – noodles, ricotta cheese mixture, mozzarella cheese and sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, if desired.
I like to cover my lasagna and bake for 45 minutes. Then, I uncover it and bake for another 10-15 minutes. After removing the dish from the oven, let it sit for 10 minutes before slicing and serving. Pair with fresh broccoli, green beans or a side salad.
- 1 lb. ground turkey or ground beef
- 24 oz. jar pasta sauce
- 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 12 no-boil lasagna noodles
- 15 oz. ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup + 2 T grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 t dried parsley flakes or 1 T chopped fresh parsley
- 18 mozzarella cheese slices
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large non-stick skillet, brown meat. Drain excess fat. Add pasta sauce and tomato sauce. Simmer 10-15 minutes.
- While sauce cooks, stir together the ricotta cheese, egg, 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese and parsley in a medium bowl.
- When sauce is ready, spoon a small amount into the bottom of the prepared pan. Add a layer of lasagna noodles. Spread a third of the ricotta mixture over the noodles and top with 6 mozzarella cheese slices. Spoon a third of the sauce over the cheese.
- Repeat the layers twice more - noodles, ricotta cheese mixture, mozzarella cheese, sauce.
- Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, covered, 45 minutes. Uncover and bake 10-15 minutes more or until golden brown. Let sit 10 minutes before slicing and serving.