Lately, I’ve been struggling with winter salads. I’m missing my homegrown tomatoes and cucumbers! So, I decided to see what I had hanging around the kitchen that would make a good salad. And so was born this Cranberry Almond Kale Salad. I have to say, it’s pretty darn tasty. Even my 15-year-old scraped his salad bowl … high praise, indeed!
I find kale a bit tricky. Oftentimes, it’s really bitter and not that great on its own. However, I bought pre-washed, organic kale at Aldi, and it was really good. While it’s still robust and hearty like kale should be, the taste is mild and enjoyable. I used the items available in my kitchen, however, there are endless possibilities to make this salad with what your family enjoys. The lemon-garlic dressing pairs well with just about anything.
How to make Cranberry Almond Kale Salad
Start by making the salad dressing. Whisk together lemon juice, Dijon mustard, salt, pepper and minced garlic. Add olive oil and whisk until well combined. Set aside. In a large salad bowl, add kale, shredded carrot, sliced almonds, cranberries and diced cucumbers. Drizzle with dressing and toss well. Top with crumbled feta. Seriously, I think it took me all of 7 minutes to pull this salad together!
The night I made this, I served it as a side salad. However, it would be easy to add grilled chicken or fish for a complete, low-carb meal. Next time I make this, I’m adding sliced avocado and maybe a few kalamata olives for a Greek flair. Enjoy!
- 2 T fresh lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 t Dijon mustard
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/8 t pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3-4 cups kale, fibrous middle section removed
- 1 small carrot, shredded
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup diced cucumber
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, garlic, mustard, salt and pepper. Add olive oil and whisk until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
- In a large salad bowl, add kale, almonds, cranberries and cucumber. Toss well.
- Drizzle dressing over salad and toss again. Sprinkle with crumbled feta.