This recipe for Chicken Quinoa Soup is the result of me struggling to make healthy lunches for myself. When I’m home working on my own at my computer, I get engrossed in what I’m doing and all of the sudden it’s 1 p.m. Yikes! I haven’t even thought about lunch for myself. So, today, I decided to set a reminder on my phone and get to work on lunch early. Checking my pantry, I came up with this Chicken Quinoa Soup.
Now, I did cheat a little bit. I used my electric pressure cooker. After only half an hour, soup was “on!” I am seriously in love. The awesome thing about this recipe is it’s totally adaptable to your circumstances. Have the time to make it on the stove? Great! Already have cooked chicken in the fridge? Even better! I had neither of those things happening here, so my pressure cooker came to the rescue.
For this recipe, I loaded up the pressure cooker with all the ingredients except for the spinach. I even used frozen chicken thighs … that’s how lazy I am! But the insane thing is, it was delicious and saved me the time of thawing and cooking the chicken. Sweet! I’m sure this would be delicious with a crusty artisan bread. However, with the quinoa, I felt it wasn’t necessary. If I served it to my kids, I know they’d love to dip a couple of pieces of bread into the tasty broth!
No pressure cooker? No worries! You can still have Chicken Quinoa Soup!
If you don’t have a pressure cooker or you want to adapt it for the stove, no problem. I’d recommend either pre-cooking your chicken or using leftover cooked chicken. Start by sauteeing the onion and garlic in 1 tablespoon olive oil for about 5 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients except for chicken and spinach. Let simmer for about 12-15 or until the quinoa is pearly and done. Add the chicken and spinach and let simmer for another 2-3 minutes. Test for salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Regardless of which method you choose, you may need to add a cup or so of additional water depending on how much the quinoa soaks up as it cooks. Just be sure to test for salt and pepper so it’s seasoned to your liking. Enjoy!
Chicken Quinoa Soup
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 2-3 boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts
- 1 quart chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 3/4 t basil
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 t pepper
- 2 cups spinach, rough chopped
- 1 T lemon juice
- In an electric pressure cooker, add all ingredients except for spinach and lemon juice. Set to high pressure for 12 minutes. Remove chicken and dice. Return chicken to the pot. Add spinach and lemon juice. Test for salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large soup pot. Add onion and garlic. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients except for chicken, spinach and lemon juice. Simmer for 12-15 minutes or until quinoa is pearly and done. Add chicken, spinach and lemon juice. Test for salt and pepper. Simmer an additional 2-3 minutes. Serve immediately.
You may need to add a cup or so of additional water depending on how much the quinoa soaks up as it cooks. Just be sure to test for salt and pepper so it's seasoned to your liking.