Whenever I’m craving Chinese, I almost always haul out this Cashew Chicken and Vegetables recipe. Generally, I don’t deep-fry much of anything at our house. That’s one of the reasons why I like this recipe. You start by sauteing the chicken in a bit of olive oil and finish with the chicken and vegetables simmering in a delicious sauce.
The usual end-of-the-school-year craziness currently is taking place at our house. So, dinner preparations started late the other night. Therefore, I do what I usually do when my teenager is “hangry” … ask for his help putting dinner together, of course! I can’t complain. He’s actually fairly willing to help in the kitchen and doesn’t mind me telling him what to do!
I took care of cutting the chicken into one-inch pieces and coating them with flour, salt and pepper. My husband started the brown rice in our pressure cooker/rice cooker while my son prepped the vegetables and made the sauce. This 20-minute dinner ended up coming together in about 10 minutes with everyone pitching in to help. I should harness my internal resources more often!
In the past, I’d cook the vegetables once the chicken was about halfway done. However, they still would be too hard for our liking. Instead, I steam the vegetables in the microwave for about 5 or 6 minutes. Adding the semi-cooked vegetables to the chicken works great. After the chicken and vegetables simmer for a minute or two, stir in the cashews and dinner’s ready!
Feel free to change up the vegetables to suit your taste or to use whatever you have on hand. This time around, I had carrots; it’s also tasty with broccoli, snow peas, cauliflower or any combination that sounds good to you. If you’re really pressed for time, use frozen steamed vegetables. Serve over brown or white rice. And, of course, don’t forget the chop sticks!
Cashew Chicken & Vegetables
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped into 1" cubes
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup cashews, dry roasted
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups steamed vegetables of your choice
- Toss the chicken with the flour, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil. Add the chicken and brown 2-5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk the ketchup, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, garlic, brown sugar and ground ginger. Add the sauce to the chicken and turn the heat to medium-low.
- Add steamed vegetables. Stir well.
- Allow to simmer for another 2-3 minutes or until thick and the chicken is cooked through.
- Stir in the cashews and serve over white or brown rice.