It’s hard to believe Memorial Day is right around the corner! The school year has flown by and summer is on its way – yay! To celebrate, I decided to make this Black Bean & Corn Salad. It’s the perfect side dish to serve with hamburgers, sloppy joes or just about anything else. Did you know corn was developed about 7,000 years ago? Apparently, scientists believe people planted corn from a wild grass native to central Mexico. The first crops probably didn’t look like corn found at the grocery store today! Over time, corn became a food staple throughout North and South America.
If this salad had been around 7,000 years ago, it would have been just as popular then as it is now. I love how this recipe uses an olive oil dressing … it holds up beautifully during hot and humid potlucks and picnics. The lime juice, honey and cumin blend nicely, adding a delicious flavor to the corn and black beans. Best of all, this recipe uses easy-to-find ingredients at your local grocery store. And, it comes together in about 10 minutes or less. While it tastes best after sitting for a few hours, it’s also delicious right after assembly.
Oftentimes, I make this salad and serve it with beer burgers or grilled chicken. The next night, it becomes a main dish. Serve it over romaine lettuce with crushed tortilla chips, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream and diced avocado or guacamole … delish! Oh, how I love putting dinner together in under five minutes! Additionally, the Black Bean & Corn Salad stays fresh in the refrigerator. Often, I make it on a Friday and we enjoy it over the weekend with lunch. Or, we make it an appetizer with chips. It’s also a perfect snack for afternoon football games. Feel free to add grilled chicken, avocado or other varieties of beans to mix it up. It’s truly foolproof!
Black Bean & Corn Salad
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 2 14.5 oz. cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, diced
- 1 red, orange or yellow bell pepper, diced
- 3 scallions finely sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro or parsley
- 1 tomato, diced
- Combine dressing ingredients in a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Alternatively, use an immersion blender to mix ingredients.
- Combine salad ingredients in a large bowl. Pour dressing over the ingredients. Stir well. Refrigerate for 2 or more hours if possible or serve immediately.
- Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.