At least once a week, if not more, I make a family friendly, meatless meal – no beef, chicken or seafood. This is a tall order when factoring my carnivore-eating kids into the picture. However, I made these Black Bean Burgers last night and they were a hit.
This week has been crazy … on top of school starting back up, our refrigerator died. It had been making strange noises for the past couple of weeks, but I didn’t really think much of it. Frankly, it’s made strange noises since we bought it over 10 years ago. We’ve been waiting for the beast to die so we could buy a new one. We lucked out and found a mega-closeout special, so I’m pretty happy. And they delivered it within 24 hours – phew!
Thank goodness we have a freezer in the basement. Between that and a couple of coolers, we were able to keep our food fresh. The only thing I’ve been missing is ice. Our old freezer was possessed by some ice demon. Seriously, the thing would make and dump ice all day long even if there was nowhere for it to go! When the delivery guys hauled it away, it was still dumping ice – crazy!
Black Bean Burgers … Perfect for Crazy Days
Given all that’s been happening, I decided to make these Black Bean Burgers adapted from a recipe I found on Tastes Better From Scratch. I’m always up for easy and delicious recipes with ingredients our family enjoys. These Black Bean Burgers met my important criteria: meatless, easy and tasty.
I’ve shied away from making black bean burgers in the past. I thought they’d be difficult to assemble and easily fall apart, making them a challenge to flip on the grill. The key to preventing these issues is to do three things:
Blot the black beans with a dry paper towel after you rinse them to absorb as much liquid as possible.
After chopping up the vegetables, strain them in a fine mesh strainer – use a dry a paper towel and push down on the vegetables to release the extra water.
Use a pastry cutter such as this one to mash up the black beans into a paste.
And there you have it. Mix the beans, veggies and spices together. Add one beaten egg. Add bread crumbs. Mix thoroughly and shape into four patties. Grill for 5-6 minutes per side and add your favorite burger toppings – cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, onion, guacamole, salsa, mayo, ketchup, etc.
I’m always looking for delicious meatless meals for my family. Do you have a favorite? If so, leave it in the comments below!
Black Bean Burgers
- 1 16 oz. can black beans rinsed and drained
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 small onion
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper
- 1 T chili powder
- 1 t cumin
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- 1 egg beaten
- 2/3 cup plain bread crumbs
- Rinse and drain beans. Blot with a paper towel to absorb excess liquid. Transfer to a bowl and mash thoroughly with a pastry cutter or fork.
- Add pepper, onion and garlic to a food processor. Process until finely diced. Transfer mixture to a fine mesh sieve and drain water. With a paper towel, push down on the vegetable mixture to release additional liquid. Add to mashed beans.
- Stir in chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix in beaten egg.
- Add bread crumbs and mix well.
- Form into 4 patties. Grill for 5 minutes over medium-high heat. Flip and grill 5 more minutes.
- Serve on hamburger buns with your favorite toppings.