These homemade crispy tortilla chips are incredibly easy to make and only take a few minutes to bake in the oven. Made with corn tortillas, these tortilla chips are golden and crispy. And, like so many things in the food world, they’re infinitely better than store-bought! I particularly like that they stand up well to thicker dips, such as guacamole and chunky salsa.
The first time I made these tortilla chips, I tried one right out of the oven and it was a little rubbery. However, after letting them sit and cool for a few minutes, they crisped up perfectly and tasted delicious. I’d also recommend a light touch on the salt. Too much salt and you lose the corn flavor; too little salt and they can be bland. Experiment to see what you like best. You could also use a seasoning salt or even a touch of chili powder or cumin for a more intense flavor.
Try making tortilla strips instead of chips. Use the exact same method, but cut the corn tortillas into strips instead of wedges. You will also want to reduce the cooking time to 5-7 minutes. The tortilla strips are fantastic on soups, salads or anything that needs a bit of extra crunch. Leftovers can be stored in a plastic storage bag or air-tight container.
To make the tortilla chips preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cover two large baking sheets with foil. Spray cooking spray on each sheet. Stack six corn tortillas and cut the stack into eight wedges. Place the wedges on the two baking sheets. Spray the wedges with cooking spray and lightly sprinkle with kosher salt. Bake in the oven 9-11 minutes or until lightly browned. Allow to cool for a few minutes before transferring them to a serving dish or sealing in a plastic bag for later use.
- 12 corn tortillas
- Cooking spray
- Kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cover two large baking sheets with foil. Spray cooking spray on each sheet.
- Stack six corn tortillas and cut the stack into eight wedges. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- Place the wedges on the two baking sheets. Spray the wedges with cooking spray and lightly sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Bake 9-11 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes before transferring to a serving dish or sealing in a plastic bag for later use.
Crispy Tortilla Chips