Tonight I made one of the easiest and most popular meals at our house … Slow Cooker Turkey Tacos. My kids think I work all day to whip up this tasty meal. However, honestly, you spoon the meat mixture into the slow cooker after only about 10 minutes of prep work! I especially enjoy the addition of black beans and corn to make this meal a bit heartier.
One of my favorite things about tacos (besides their taste!) is how customizable they are. If you’ve read any of my previous posts, you’ll know my kids don’t like tomatoes (sigh). So, I have to be mindful of this if I want to eat dinner without complaints. (As youngsters, I’d make them eat tomatoes. Now, I’m tired. Plus, I’d rather enjoy dinner than turn it into a power struggle!) That’s one of the reasons why this ends up on our family dinner menu at least once a month. Everyone chooses what they like and dinner is a peaceful event!
If you’re looking for a delicious Mexican filling for taco salad, tostadas or burritos, you’ve found it. I’m trying this on nachos for my next party! Options for toppings include lettuce, tomatoes, shredded cheese, guacamole or diced avocado, salsa or pico de gallo, sour cream, sliced olives, jalapenos or anything else that sounds delicious to you!
Slow Cooker Turkey Tacos
- 1 lb. ground lean turkey
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 T taco seasoning mix
- 1 t beef broth concentrate
- 1 14-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 8 hard or soft taco shells
- Desired toppings such as: diced tomatoes, shredded lettuce, shredded cheese, avocado, sour cream, salsa, etc.
- In a non-stick skillet over medium heat, saute onions until soft, about 3-5 minutes. Add ground turkey and brown, breaking up meat into small pieces with a wood spoon.
- Add remaining ingredients, except taco shells, to the slow cooker.
- Add cooked turkey and onions. Mix well.
- Cook on low 4-6 hours or on high 2-4 hours.
- Serve meat inside taco shells and top with desired toppings.