Nothing says summer more than firing up the grill and smelling a delicious marinade transform ordinary chicken into something special. That’s exactly what happens with this Grilled Garlic Chicken & Fresh Herbs recipe. The combination of garlic and herbs smells divine while the chicken cooks. I made this the other night to celebrate my youngest son’s last day of school – yeah! While both my boys had a fantastic year, it’s definitely time for summer.
This marinade starts with an oil and acid combination. In this case, I use olive oil and white wine vinegar. I add salt, fresh ground pepper, minced garlic and fresh herbs. That’s it. Marinate the chicken for as little as 30 minutes or for several hours. I always think the longer it marinates, the better. However, sometimes that just doesn’t work for our schedule. The night I made this recipe, I only had 30 minutes for the chicken to marinate and it turned out great.
As far as the herbs, use whatever you have on hand. My husband planted Italian oregano in our garden box, so I used that this time around. Rosemary, thyme or basil all work as well. Last year, I often used lemon thyme and that was delish as well. You can also combine multiple herbs for even greater flavor. Experiment and see what works best for you!
Feel free to double or even triple the marinade if you want to grill up multiple chicken breasts for future use or for leftovers. One key step is to allow the meat to rest for 5 minutes after grilling to ensure a tender and juicy result. If you’re looking for an easy picnic lunch or dinner, try placing the grilled chicken over a Caesar salad and you’re good to go! This tastes great right off the grill, at room temperature or even cold from the refrigerator. Enjoy!
Garlic Grilled Chicken
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons fresh herbs - rosemary, thyme, basil, oregano or any combination, chopped
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3-4 medium-sized chicken breasts
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, garlic, vinegar, herbs, salt and pepper.
- Place chicken in a shallow dish. Pour marinade over chicken and coat chicken evenly. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes to several hours, turning occasionally if desired.
- Heat grill to medium.
- Lift chicken from marinade and grill until browned and the internal temperature is 165 degrees, about 5 minutes per side*. Remove from grill. Cover chicken with foil and let rest for 5 minutes.
- *If your chicken breasts are thick, they may take longer to cook.