I love burrito bowls. They’re so easy to throw together and I like that they can be customized. For some crazy reason, both my boys hate tomatoes, so being able to pick and choose toppings makes for a more peaceful family dinner. And peace is a valuable commodity around here these days! Like a lot of people, I first discovered burrito bowls to try and reduce my carbohydrate intake. I thought I’d miss the tortilla, but I actually prefer bowls over placing the filling in a tortilla.
I start with frozen chicken breasts and place them my Fagor electric pressure cooker. If you don’t have an electric pressure cooker, I highly recommend you look into getting one. I was a skeptic at first, but I’m a convert now! I love that you can go from rock-hard, frozen raw chicken breasts to fully cooked chicken in 25 minutes. It’s also saved my bacon a time or two when I’ve forgotten to put my slow cooker meal together.
No worries if you don’t have an electric pressure cooker. Just simmer thawed chicken with 1-1/2 cups water and the taco seasoning mix on the stove top for about 15 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer reads 165 degrees. If you’re in a real hurry, you can skip the chicken all together and have a bean burrito instead! When I decide to do this, I double up on the black beans or add another type of bean to mix things up.
While the chicken cooks, prepare the rice, beans and desired toppings. Once the chicken is ready, go ahead and shred it and mix it back in with the sauce. To prepare the bowls, spoon rice into the bottom of a bowl. Top with chicken and beans. Add your toppings such as guacamole, sour cream, cheese, tomatoes, lettuce – whatever sounds good to you!
- Cooked brown or white rice
- 1 lb. chicken breasts
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning mix, homemade or store-bought
- 1 can black beans
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Sour cream
- Place frozen chicken in an electric pressure cooker. Mix water and taco seasoning together and add to the pressure cooker. Set the pressure cooker for 15 minutes. To cook the chicken on the stove top, place thawed chicken breasts in a pot with a tight-fitting lid. Mix 1-1/2 cups water with taco seasoning and add to the pot. Simmer for 15 minutes or until chicken registers 165 degrees on an instant-read thermometer.
- While chicken cooks, prepare the rice and beans. Place beans in a microwave-safe pot with a lid. Add spices and stir well. Cook on high for 3 minutes. Stir and cook on high another 2-3 minutes.
- Once the chicken is cooked, shred with two forks on a cutting board. Place the chicken back into the pot and stir.
- To assemble, add rice to a bowl and top with chicken and beans. Add desired toppings and enjoy!